Welcome

Welcome to my Blog. New recipe posts every Monday. Use Google Chrome, FireFox or other browsers. IE won't load this blog for some users.

How I made my Athame



A few weeks ago in one of my posts I stated that I was working on my Athame and that I would share with you how I made it. I forgot to take a photo of the first part with the new handle but the process of my scabbard or sheath is the same way. There are diagrams in Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft in Lesson 3 pages 41-45. Also those pages explains how to etch and engrave your blade. To remove the handle with rivets make a shallow cut with a Dremel or small cutting disk in a angle below the rivets and use a flat head screwdriver and pop the rivets out.

Tools I used:


















Athame:



This is what my blade looked like when I found it.




Handle removed.

















New handle diagram from  Raymond Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft in Lesson 3.





New handle, handle of the blade is glued with epoxy between two pieces of wood for 24 hrs.



Handle is sanded down to a oval shape and added a second edge on blade.



Drilled a shallow hole on the end of the handle and epoxy glued a quartz crystal.Sanded the handle a little bit more.



Cut a oval hilt, wood burn vines and leaves then wood burn pentagram, my Zodiac sign, ruling planet and on the other side wood burned my Craft name in runes (it is a secret) on the handle.



Cut two rectangle pieces of wood and trace the blade on both. Before you trace the blade on your second piece of wood, flip the blade if the edge is not the same as the other side.














My husband was in such a rush to glue the wood together he forgot to let me take a photo of the pieces apart with the center cut with the grove shaped of the blade.







Sheath is almost done. It don't come out unless I twist the knife handle to me and away from me to lock it.


Sheath sanded and shaped.






Sheath engraved, wood burned and both sealed with clear semi-gloss.












No comments:

Post a Comment